Population July 2013: 2 million
GDP 2012: 32.9 Billion EUR
GDP per capita: 20,400 EUR
Taxation for Lotteries: 5% GGR, in addition to a
15% tax on winnings for players
Online Taxation: classical games: 5% GGR,
casino-style games: 18% GGR


The Gaming Act from 1995 makes a distinction between classical games and casino games. Classical games, such as lotteries, bingo and betting, may be organised by a joint-stock company that is domiciled in the Republic of Slovenia. The government issues two licenses at the most to organisers of classical games. At the moment, the licensees are Loterija Slovenije (around 75% market share) and Sportna Loterija (around 25% market share). Only these licensees can obtain a licence to offer classical games online.

Once a year, occasional licenses may be issued by the Ministry of Finance to organise a lottery, bingo or raffle. The game has to be arranged in association with a sport competition of a society or non-profit humanitarian organisation. The Office for Gaming Supervision, a body of the Ministry of Finance, was established in 1995 to regulate and supervise the Slovene gaming market.


As far as we know, no lotteries exist in Slovenia that meet the criteria of a charity lottery. The lotteries mentioned below do, however, distribute part of the sales to good causes.



    Loterija Slovenije organises games independently since 1972, and acquired the status of a public limited company in 1998. The lottery offers lotto and bingo games and scratch tickets. The primary aim is to raise funds for the Foundation for Financing Humanitarian Organisations and Organisations for the Disabled (FIHO) and the Foundation for Financing Sports Organisations (FSO). The amount of these funds, the so-called concession fee, is determined by the government. The lottery had 62 employees in 2011. Sales occur through about 1,200 sales outlets.

    Total sales in 2009 amounted to € 110 million of which € 22.9 million (20%) was donated to FIHO and FSO as concession fees paid to the state. In addition, of total profits (not total sales), 40% is donated to FIHO and 10% to FSO. In 2009, these percentages corresponded to € 30,000 and € 7,500 respectively. The website of the lottery mentions that in 2012, turnover from its classical games amounted to € 128.4 million, and the FSO and the FIHO received a total of € 24.7 million. For more information see: www.loterija.si


    This joint-stock company, established in 1996, offers sports betting and offline and online scratch tickets. It has a market share of 20-25%, mainly because of its sports betting activities. Among its main shareholders are the

    Slovenian Ski Association, the Slovenian Olympic Committee and the Slovenian Post, which each have a share of 20%. The beneficiaries of Sportna Loterija are, as with Loterija Slovenije, the FSO and the FIHO. In 2012 the company employed 29 people.

    In 2011, total gaming sales of the company amounted to € 87.6 million (↑7%). By law, the license fees have to be distributed among the two beneficiaries. Due to the growth of the share of sports betting, the FSO received 77 % of this fee (€ 4 million) in 2009 and the FIHO the remaining 23% (€ 1.2 million). These amounts together represent 7% of the company’s gaming sales in 2009.

    Prize money constituted 74% of turnover (€ 64.7 million), followed by 9% for mandatory duties (€ 7.6 million). This includes license fees and taxes and the above mentioned donations to the beneficiaries (€ 5.8 million, 6.7% of sales). Taxes for games of chance amounted to € 1.1 million (1% of sales). Operating costs stood at 8%. For more information visit: www.sportna-loterija.si