Population July 2013: 0.4 Million
GDP 2012: 6.3 Billion EUR
GDP per capita: 19,700 EUR
Taxation for Lotteries: 20% tax on turnover (most games)
Online Taxation: dependent on classification, capped at € 466,000


In 2001, with the enactment of the Lotteries and Other Games Act, all regulations regarding games of chance in Malta were brought together in one Act. The Act covers all gaming activities, except for land-based casinos. At the same time, the Lotteries and Gaming Authority was established: a regulatory body, responsible for the governance of all kinds of games of chance. Its main tasks are granting licenses, monitoring the licensees and collecting gaming taxes on behalf of the government.

There is a state monopoly to organise a national lottery in Malta, currently in possession of Maltco Lotteries Limited. The licensee must be a Maltese company with the sole purpose to operate the National Lottery. The license is granted by the Ministry of Finance and is valid for ten years. During this period no other lottery operators are allowed.

Maltco pays a contribution to the Responsible Gaming Fund and to the National Lotteries Good Causes Fund, a body of the Ministry of Finance. The fund aims to support various individuals, agencies and organisations that have a social, cultural, educational, sports, philanthropic or religious activity. The fund is held at the treasury and gains income through a percentage of the gaming tax and unclaimed prizes. In 2012 this involved an amount of € 1.4 million.

Online gaming in nearly every form is allowed. Malta was the first EU member state to regulate remote gaming. Operators from all EEA countries are also allowed to offer online games under a Maltese license.


Non-profit games may be organised by Maltese non-profit organisations, and the net proceeds must be destined for a religious, sports, philanthropic, cultural, educational, social or civic purpose. Permits for these games are issued by the Public Lotto Department, a body of the Ministry of Finance. The price of a ticket may not exceed 25 Maltese cents (€ 0.60) and no money prizes may be awarded. Furthermore, 25% of the retail value of all prizes that can be won must be paid to the Ministry of Finance, through the Lotteries and Gaming Authority.

As far as we know, no Maltese lotteries exist that meet the criteria of a charity lottery. As the National Lottery does distribute part of the gaming tax to the National Lotteries Good Causes Fund, it is mentioned below.



    The National Lottery was established in 1934 as a state monopoly. With the new Act from 2001 the National Lottery was privatised. Until 2004 the operation of lottery games fell under the responsibility of the Public Lotto Department. Maltco Lotteries Limited is the exclusive license holder since 2004. Maltco is a private company and the Maltese government is not a stakeholder. INTRALOT (a global supplier of integrated gaming and transaction processing systems) owns 73% of the shares and the remaining 27% is owned by Maltese businessmen. Maltco was awarded a ten year licence through a public tender in June 2012.

    The products that are offered are lotto games, scratch tickets and sports betting. Tickets can be purchased at more than 500 points of sale throughout the country. Sales in 2009 were € 73.7 million of which almost 60% was awarded as prize money. For more information about the National Lottery see: www.maltco.com.mt